• Caring for the Planet with Smart Sustainable Farming •
Pasta with Vegetables, Garlic & Seared Scallops
Linguine (or whatever pasta you like) tossed with fresh sauted vegetables and garlic in a light olive oil, pesto-infused sauce. Top it with seared scallops (or shrimp) for an amazing meal.
- Timing is the key to this recipe. There are three elements: cooking the pasta, sauting the vegetables and searing the scallops -- none of them want to be overcooked! The pasta and the vegetables will take about the same amount of time and the scallops slightly less time. Have all your ingredients ready ad get your large pasta pot of salted water boiling before you start the vegetables.
- Saute chopped squash, red pepper and 2 cloves garlic in two turns of olive oil over medium heat in large saute pan. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. After about 5 minutes, add asparagus cut into one inch pieces.
- Take 3 heaping teaspoons of pesto and place into medium-sized dish. Add one ladle of your boiling pasta water to the pesto and carefully mix. This is going to form the sauce and will be added to the vegetables with the pasta -- set aside for the moment.
- Sear scallops in separate pan. Make sure they are completely dry and seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper before adding to the hot pan with olive oil. Be careful with the heat of your pan, you'll want it very hot to start and then you should reduce heat (or be ready for your smoke alarm to sound!).
- Drain al dente pasta and place into saute pan with vegetables. Add pesto/water mixture and torn basil leaves. Carefully mix with tongs and add to serving bowls.
- Top with seared scallops and grated parmesan cheese.
Red bell pepper
Freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese, grated